Safeguarding, Prevent and Equalities Committee (SPEC)
Landmarks College is committed to protecting our learners, teaching them how to keep safe and how to treat others. We have merged the work of Safeguarding, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion into one committee called Safeguarding, Prevent and Equalities Committee or SPEC for short.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion priorities:
Landmarks is committed to enabling people with learning difficulties and disabilities to realise their potential through the development of functional communication, independence and employability skills.
At Landmarks we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for our learners and staff.
The College is committed to treating staff and learners no less favourably than others on any unlawful grounds because of age, disability, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins) sexual orientation, religion or belief, or because someone is married or in a civil partnership.
Our objectives for 2015 – 2018 are to:
- Promote equality for our students by:
a) Ensuring high success rates for all learners
b) Providing an environment where learners feel safe and experience respect and fair treatment
c) Taking action to address any achievement gaps in our learner profile
d) Ensuring all learners have an equal opportunity to plan their own transition
- Promote equality for our workforce by:
a) Improving the diversity of our workforce to better reflect the learner and community profile in which we are located
b) Creating a culture where staff feel able to declare their disability, religion and sexual orientation to help the college ensure its workforce profile reflects the community in which we are located
- Promote equality in our working practices by:
a)Providing training, support and guidance to enable all our workforce to be confident in promoting Equality and Diversity and challenging unfair discrimination and harassment
- Foster good relations between groups of learners and staff
- Published information in relation to age, gender, disability and race of our learners
- Published our Key Over-arching Equality Objectives for 2015-2017 (above and within Landmarks Single Equality Scheme 2015-2018).
- Published our annual Single Equality Scheme and Action Plan, which is reviewed by the Safe and Equal Committee and Trustees annually.
- Monitored and analysed the achievement of our learners in relation to different groups and characteristics.
- Established a cross college Safe and Equal Committee, which is committed to promoting positive relations amongst staff and learners and support the creation of a high quality specialist learning environment.
- Provided Equality, Diversity and Inclusion training for all staff, with regular updates posted within the college newsletter and Intranet.
- Published our Prevent Duty Risk Assessment.
The College remains vigilant and protects its learners from any situations that may compromise their safety. The College has insisted that all staff complete mandatory safeguarding training, both in general terms and also specifically in relation to the Prevent Duty.
Our progress towards ensuring the safety of all learners and staff can be tracked in the Prevent Duty Risk Assessment – Action Plan below.
If you would like to discuss any aspects of Safeguarding at the College, please contact the Principal.